Page 14 - Chartered 150 - A Sesquicentenary Special Issue
P. 14

     Members of the Liverpool Society in 1902
and Sheffield in February 1871 and 1877 respectively.
In 1878 the council of the London Institute resolved:
“It is desirable that the Institute should endeavour to obtain an Act of Parliament incorporating it under the title of ‘The Incorporated Institute of Official Accountants’ or some other title”.
Close collaboration between these four founding Societies resulted in 1880 with the formation of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales which duly received its Royal Charter.
In 1887 our Society changed its name to The Liverpool Society of Chartered Accountants, under which title it has continued to flourish to this day. Although
normally referred to as a district society of the national Institute, the Liverpool Society has also retained its individual identity and members are in effect members of two separate, though associated, accounting bodies, and the Society remains a distinct legal entity.
This aspect has always defined the tone and sense of responsibility of your Society to this very day.
The physical offices of the Society were initially provided by founder members such as Mr Harmood Banner, Mr T W Read, and Mr A W Chalmers, developing into more formal offices at 5 Fenwick Street, which have much affection amongst most of the current Committee, who spent a good degree of their student days there. Fond memories remain of the guardian of many Society values in Kay Stananought, and Andrea Betteridge.
We then had good tenure at Number
1, Old Hall Street, and returned there after a period without a permanent base, with some support from the Liverpool Chamber of Commerce.
In 1917 the Alan Cookson Prize was presented by Mr Ben Cookson in memory of his son Captain Alan Cookson who
we sadly lost in the First World War, and
is awarded not merely for examination achievement but for overall contribution to the Students’ Association.
The Chester and North Wales branch of the Liverpool Society of Chartered Accountants was formed in 1947, and our Southport branch was established in the 1960s.
In 1958 the Isle of Man was
established as a branch of the Society, and we continue to have very close ties today.
In 1970 the Society celebrated its Centenary. The Lord Mayor, Alderman Stephen Minion and Mrs Minion held a reception at this very same Town Hall, also attended by the President of the ICAEW, Sir Ronald Leach.
In 1980, when the Institute was celebrating its own Centenary, the four Founding Societies’ Centenary Award was initiated, which is presented annually to the member of the Institute who has distinguished in any field. The dinner at which this prize is presented was initially held in rotation by Liverpool, London, Manchester and Sheffield, but latterly the Award (now restyled as the ICAEW Award for Outstanding Achievement) has been presented at an ICAEW Dinner in London.
During the economic challenges of the 1980s the Society helped provide strong leadership across the business community of Liverpool.
The creation of BOOM (Business Opportunities on Merseyside) led by
our President Geoffrey Piper, played an important part in halting the City’s decline.
Liverpool has provided three national Presidents for the Institute, first Mr J S Harmood Banner in 1905 secondly Arthur Green in 1987 and most recently Ian Morris in 2005.
The Society appointed its first lady President, Barbara Appleton in 1995, and our lady Presidents now number six out of the 120 Presidents we have had.
Ian Morris – LSCA President (1978)
   Arthur Green – LSCA President (1971)
 14
150TH COMMEMORATIVE ISSUE
 






































































   12   13   14   15   16