Page 10 - Chartered 150 - A Sesquicentenary Special Issue
P. 10

    14 Gentlemen engaged in
accountancy – your cast
We have read many times of these “14 gentlemen”, but who were they?
t 24 North John Street, Liverpool on 25th January 1870, the following gentlemen met,
situated close to Herculaneum Dock.
Banner was a philanthropist associated with the Liverpool Ophthalmic Infirmary (1824), Liverpool Dispensary (1829), Liverpool Female Orphans Asylum (1841), Liverpool Eye and Ear infirmary (1845) and Liverpool Infant Orphans Asylum (1859). He was involved in raising funds to build new hospitals and orphanages, and, as Treasurer and Auditor, in managing the operations of these institutions. Some of the buildings erected are still standing, but others, such as those on Myrtle Street, have been demolished. The orphans’ provision
was moved to Salisbury House in South Liverpool, not far from the Beatles beloved “Strawberry Fields”, but this building was itself eventually demolished. In Pen and Ink Studies of Liverpool Councillors, Shimmin noted:
“Day by day, Mr. Banner may be found visiting the fatherless in their affliction, and giving to hundreds of destitute orphans that paternal counsel which he well knows how to bestow.” By 1814, Banner was on the committee of Liverpool Lyceum Library and rose to be President. There were cholera outbreaks in Liverpool in 1832, 1849 and 1854. Liverpool’s water at the time was drawn from wells
and the disease spread due to seepage of sewage. Banner was involved with Liverpool and Harrington Water Company, one of two companies that had been granted rights to supply water. Criticisms of Liverpool water supply were voiced publicly, and he answered them in a pamphlet in 1845 “Water”. A copy can be found in Liverpool Central Library and Archive, alongside a reply “Want of Water”. These public pronouncements combined
with philanthropic work, and involvement in banking and railways, made Harmood Banner a public figure in Liverpool. An obituary described him as much loved and trusted.
His funeral in April 1865 was a major event, attended by firemen, orphans, accounting clerks, and five carriages of his extended family and local notables. In the early morning the cortege passed slowly through the
streets, passing through Belvedere Road, Catherine Street and Canning Street, and eventually arriving at St James’ Cemetery.
His grave is close to the cemetery entrance Harmood_Banner
John Bewley of Messrs. John Bewley & Sons,, Brown’s Buildings, Liverpool. issue/23566/page/7166/data.pdf
Henry Bolland of Gibson & Bolland, 10 South John Street, Liverpool
Anthony Wigham Chalmers was a founding member of the Incorporated Society of Liverpool Accountants, the first English body of accountants, a signatory in 1870 to its Memorandum of Incorporation, its first Secretary, and the President in 1878-1894. He was a petitioner for the charter of the ICAEW and a member of the first Council.
The original firm became part of Chalmers Impey and is now part of RSM UK. Incorporation_of_the_Institute_of_Chartered_ Accountants_in_England_and_Wales uk/files/royal_charter_of_the_11th_ may_1880_Chartered_Accountants.pdf
E H Crosland “The only remark entered alongside his name in the Liverpool Society List of Members (1870-) is the word ‘failed’ and in the 1882 edition of Fore’s Directory he is no longer listed as a member. Nevertheless Crosland did eventually join the ICAEW. According to the Role of Membership
(1880-) he was admitted as an associated on 7 February 1883 and died in 1886.
One slight uncertainty relates to J. Finney, an original member of the Liverpool Society. The entry in the various editions of Gore’s Directory indicates it is the firm, Finney and Son, which
  • Harmood Walcott Banner – Harmood Banner & Son
• John Bewley – John Bewley & Sons
• Henry Bolland – Gibson & Bolland
• Anthony Wigham Chalmers
– Chalmers & Wade
• Edward Crossland
• C F Finney – Finney & Sons
• David Gibson – Gibson & Bolland
• GEHolt–GEHolt&Sons
• William Mathison
• Peter Brookshaw McQuie
• R W McCarther
• Edward Mounsey – Lewis & Mounsey
• Thomas William Read – T W Read & Co
• E Roberts
The origins of the name Harmood lie in
the family history. Royal Navy Captain Harmood’s daughter married into the prosperous Banner family, and their
son was named Harmood Banner.
Banner was practising as an accountant
in Liverpool by 1805. He took on the role
of “Corn Inspector” and “Commissioner
for Special Bails”. He acted in cases of liquidation, distributing the remaining assets to claimants. He was involved in banking as both auditor and liquidator.
He acted as a share broker, including
shares in Liverpool’s Liverpool Athenaeum Club, Liverpool Botanic, Botanic Gardens, Liverpool water companies, Manchester and Liverpool Railway ventures and Manchester, Liverpool and Hull marine insurance.
Banner married in 1808 and the dowry included a piece of inherited land at the corner of North John Street and Harrington Street. The building known as “Harrington Chambers” was erected and Banner practiced there as an accountant. When his son joined the firm, forming Harmood Banner and Sons, they remained there and the firm remained
in the building until 1962. The family home was at Dingle Mount, no longer standing,

   8   9   10   11   12